Freitag, 21. Oktober 2011

Rome, Italy

Wednesday, February 23

 On wednesday my friend and me went to see the inside of Saint Peter's Basilica because I missed it the day before... (silly story!)

The Pietà by Michelangelo
(the light was not very good)


Gigantic.


Cathedra Petri - The Chair of Saint Peter by Bernini
It's 27 meters high! (If my memory serves me right)







 


Two Swiss Guards - Schweizergarde

After that we went to see the Pope himself!

Here are masses of people jubilating.


A tiny figure in the distance.....


Catholic church goes 21st century!

In the afternoon we went to see
 Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura


Columns...

... and palm trees...



The 265 medaillons of all popes of history!


This is a mosaic (!) called  
Apse mosaic


Spot light on our current pope!



The cloister of the monastery of San Paolo fuori le Mura
Those columns with the mosaic "wound" around them are so beautiful!




Walking out through the "back door"!



I LOVE this.

Santa Maria Maggiore





 Pius IX liked himself a lot regarding this huge marble statue!

This is said to contain wood from the Holy Crib of the nativity of Jesus... 




Bernini again.... 

Now it's time to follow the tourist crowds!


GREAT street artist on the way there!

Everybody's destination:
Fontana di Trevi



It is pretty impressive!


I just HAD to watch this scene when I got home...



Isn't the kitten just cute?

And that's it for wednesday!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen